Up The Entrance Benches/Tools Drop Saw Bench Table Saw Router Table Wall Saw Sanders Jointer/Bandsaw Drum Sander Lathe Drill/Mortiser Up

I used to have a little, cheap (Chinese made) table saw but I have just upgraded to a Carbatec KS-12 12" Table Saw.
I have just completed assembling and doing some small user friendly modifications to it.  First of, I fitted up my homemade overhead Guard/Dust hood and it is working great!!
A bit of detail about the guard.  It is made of 6mm Perspex and small, angle aluminium pop riveted together. The support arm is a mix of Aluminium and Steel and is mounted to a big Alum support that is bolted to the back of the saw.  It is mounted to a support bar that is bolted to the underside of the Cast Iron Table (luckily, there were a few vacant bolt holes in the table in exactly the right position)..
I have been very very happy with the result. So long as I can position the hood nice and low, virtually no chips/dust escapes. This is mainly due to the 4"/100mm dust port (2.5" ones are useless). Even when ripping narrow pieces where the T/S fence prevents the hood being positioned close to the wood, most stuff is still sucked up by the Cyclone it is hooked up to.
Also, I have made an out-feed table fixed to the saw. The hole in the back is so I can get to my quick release Splitter knob. In the shot below, you can see my layout table is also behind the saw which helps lots.

(This photo is in the old shop - new front shot to come in the new shop - just gotta finish and move that Wardrobe)
A Side Shot
Photo from behind showing the out-feed table/s and the Dust Collector Duct.

 

 

The Hood/Guard fitted to the new Table Saw.
The picture above shows the hood connected to the Cyclone. A 150mm/150mm/100mm wye is used above so that the bottom dust port on the saw as well as the hood are connected together. I have also put a blast gate on the pipe connecting to the guard/hood to control the air flow. I did this as I found I was actually getting too much suction on the guard and the guard was getting "sucked" down to the table sometimes!!
Also, I have since added a couple of bar bell weights to the back of the long guard support arm to balance the hood (thanks for the idea Dean). I needed these as the 4" dust pipe was pushing the hood down. btw: The guard/hood does not "float" like most commercial ones - it is locked in place by the two knobs on the Guard support arms. This means that the hood cannot move in use and helps prevent "brain failure" type accidents.

You may notice that I have also replaced the stock blade insert and made a new zero clearance one.  I also replaced the Riving knife with a homemade Aluminium one which is fitted to a quick release mount I also designed and built.  The original one Riving Knife was much large as it also supported the stock blade guard which I did not need due to my full overhead Guard.  Also, the stock mount for the Riving Knife leaves a lot to be desired particularly in the limited amount of alignment that can be achieve, hence the need to replace it.
 
While the new Saw is great, the standard Splitter and its mount at the rear of the saw is not very well designed and, in particular, the splitter interfered with my overhead guard.  So, I designed and made a replacement that is also easy/quick to remove and replace.
For the new Splitter, I took a piece of plate Aluminium that I had and cut out a new, lower height Splitter. To allow my Overhead Guard to lower down, I cut a 'V' in the Splitter. I also fashioned it to be as close as possible to the blade when it is fully raised and also cut the front in an arc to match the Saw blade. I also cut some mounting slots in the back section. 

For the mounting assembly, I simply lay the existing mounting blocks on their side giving me a level surface. Then I took a piece of 11mm thick angle Aluminium (70 x 55) and cut it to size. I then cut some slots for adjustment as well as drilled 2 initial holes to bolt the Splitter to.

I bolted the lot together and then did the tricky bit. After aligning the Splitter perfectly to the blade, I removed the whole unit but leaving the Splitter in place on the Alum angle block. I then to the lot to the Drill Press and drilled a third hole through both the Splitter and the Alum Angle. I disassembled the lot and changed the two bolts to become alignment pins bolted to the Alum. Angle and then got a third longer bolt with two nuts and a Tri-Knob. This has become my quick release mechanism and it works a treat.  The pic's below probably explain this better.
The components
Test assembly
 
New mounting block installed
 
Splitter fully installed
 
Lastly, this is my old little Table Saw - it served me well.
TableSaw.jpg (24753 bytes)

My Shop (and this site) are always  undr_kunstrukson_md_wht.gif (11032 bytes) Hard Hats required!

Up The Entrance Benches/Tools Drop Saw Bench Table Saw Router Table Wall Saw Sanders Jointer/Bandsaw Drum Sander Lathe Drill/Mortiser Up